Goal Attack is a mode in Midnight Club: Los Angeles in which the player must finish first in each of the available races under a set time without using any Special Abilities while taking less than 25% damage to their vehicle. Each Goal Attack will automatically set the time of day to midnight and weather to clear, and the player will race against 3 random medium-difficulty opponents, with circuit races being 2-lap races.
Completing one Goal Attack will unlock Mild Dedication, an achievement worth 10 Gamerscore/a bronze trophy, while completing all non-DLC races' Goal Attack objectives will reward True Dedication, a gold trophy/100 Gamerscore achievement. Completing all South Central DLC races will reward the player with "GOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!" achievement worth 60 Gamerscore/silver trophy.
However, a bug with the South Central DLC or the Complete Edition of the game persists in which if one wins a South Central Goal Attack before winning all regular goal attacks, there is a chance that the goal attacks will stop registering and prevent their existing save game's ability to earn achievements unless they start a new game or revert to a backed up save game.
Why They Are Truly Frustrating for Dedication
- Some races can have strict times in which the player has to be fast enough and careful to be able to achieve all goals in one race.
- There are a total of 100 races (74 in the main game, 26 in the South Central DLC) to complete in order to complete the mode, making the achievements a challenge of re-racing the entire game's races.
- Wasted Potential: The Zone ability could have helped the player take blind/tight corners and avoid traffic, the Agro ability help the player plow through traffic without taking significant damage or the Roar Ability distract traffic/knock off motorcycle-riding opponents, but Rockstar decided to disable the Special Abilities for the Goal Attacks for an additional challenge.
- A glitch can occur where goal attack objectives will stop registering on the list of Goal Attack races if one had won a single South Central Goal Attack before completing all of the main game's Goal Attacks, therefore once they win a lot of goal attacks, with at least a large amount of DLC goal attacks prior to completing the main ones and the objectives stop updating, their save game will be partially corrupted, preventing any further unobtained achievements including "True Dedication" from being obtained, unless they restart their save game or have a back up of their save file, therefore, wasting their time and effort on failing to get an additional 60-100 Gamerscore or a silver/gold trophy.
- The Unordered and Landmark Races can be challenging if one were to not know a good route to take in these races.
- The player must drive perfectly and avoid crashing their vehicle or else, it would be nearly impossible to beat the target time or win with less than the damage limit.
- The game can occasionally freeze and crash if one starts a Goal Attack race immediately after viewing the leaderboards.
- Starting a Goal Attack race will automatically set the game time to nighttime, therefore, reducing in-game traffic. This can be somewhat good as the players can see the road/traffic through their vehicle's headlights and reduce the traffic intensity.
- The South Central Goal Attacks are easier to complete and are less time consuming due to only having 26 races, and have increased time limits, making the GOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!! achievement/trophy easier.
- Some goal attacks, especially the DLC ones, can be beaten using a non-exotic car such as the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) or the Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG (R230), provided the player can handle these cars well and have good driving skills.
- 2008 Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro (no longer obtainable after June 2014 due to closure of Rockstar Games Social Club servers)
- 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
- 2004 Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster
- 2004 Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster "DUB Edition"
- 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 (motorcycle)
- 2008 Ducati 1098R (motorcycle; requires South Central Vehicle Pack 2 or Complete Edition)
- Use a mid-engine, all-wheel drive exotic such as the 2008 Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro (Type 42), 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder or 2004 Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster (either standard or DUB Edition) as these cars are easier to control and are less prone to spinning out and losing speed due to their AWD drivetrain aside from having high performance.
- However, the Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro can no longer be obtained after June 2014 due to the Rockstar Games Social Club servers having been shut down for the game.
- You can also use a motorcycle such as the 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 or 2008 Ducati 1098R, which have very high acceleration and high grip, but you will have to be careful as you will have to get used to the motorcycle's handling, which it's lighter weight can cause it to take damage easier and faster, and crashing will make the rider fall off the bike easily, therefore, don't hit too much walls/cars or crash the bike into traffic or else you will likely exceed the 25% damage limit.
- Use the weight transfer and handbrake when taking tight corners, especially the two-wheel driving/side wheelie technique when driving a car.
- Use nitrous on long straights, especially when using a car for Goal Attacks.
- On the circuit goal attacks, make sure to use all nitrous before the first lap ends, as reaching the second lap will only refill the nitrous that was used up.
- When a car-driving opponent is ahead of you, draft them to get a slip-stream turbo. However, this will not work against motorcycle-riding opponents, therefore, don't race against other motorcycle opponents due to their high acceleration, so you may want to try to keep refreshing the opponents until you race against cars only.
- Avoid the South Central Goal Attacks and do the regular goal attacks first until the True Dedication achievement/trophy is unlocked. You may want to back up your save game in case you accidentally run into a glitch where they will stop registering.
- If one's save was affected by the glitch, revert to the backed up save game if there is one and do the goal attacks again for the said achievement, or start over and play through the career until the Downtown DUB Tournament opens to unlock the Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster DUB Edition, which is an all-wheel drive A-Class Group 4 Exotic that comes with all level 1 upgrades installed.
- You may be unable to win all goal attacks with the aforementioned Lamborghini until you unlock level 2 upgrades for Group 4 vehicles.